Last week was a hectic one. Not only did 47 child/school/family events and activities seem to converge in a single week, but I was honored to be speak at JNAs annual Ladies Night! My trainer, Alina Branda, asked if I could give a motivational talk to the group and also serve up one of my favorite post workout snacks. I immediately Burpee Star Jumped at the opportunity, because why not add a fitness related 48th item to the weekly To-Do List?
In addition to creating a catered snack for 50+ women, I shared my “ASK B4 U SNACK” strategy. This strategy entails a group of questions that I make sure to ask myself before I reach for that unnecessary snack.
The event was a blast and the trainers really motivated everyone to do that extra push up and extra lap. After a quality workout, everyone fueled up on my Power Snack +5 dish and there was even enough time for some great giveaways. If you missed out on hearing my suggested questions to ask yourself when (or just about to) snacking, I have listed them below for you.
·ASK B4 U SNACK·
- Did I drink enough water today?
- Should I get out of the kitchen for 20 minutes?
- Will a piece of gum satisfy my tastebuds?
- Did I eat enough protein today?
- Should I go brush my teeth or gargle?
- Will a piece of dark chocolate help?
- Are my emotions taking over?
- Is it time for a hot cup of tea?
Power Snack +5
- Protein: 12-16 oz of cooked and chopped chicken breast, cooled to room temp.
- Grain: 1 cup of cooked and cooled wheat berries.
- Fruit: 1 segmented naval orange.
- Veggie: 1 cup of blanched string beans, chopped.
- Good fat: 4 tbs toasted sunflower seeds.
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ ground pepper
- ¼ tsp of garlic powder
- ½ tsp of opnion powder
- 1 tbs of fresh chopped mint
- ½ cup of white vinegar
- 1 cup of orange, coconut zico drink. (save some for later in case your mixture dry out)
- 2 tbs melted coconut oil (do not mix your coconut oil with your other cold liquids, because your coconut oil will solidfy the moment it mixes with the cold liquids.)
Mix all these cooked ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Mix together your chicken, wheat berries, orange pieces, string beans & sunflower seeds. Set aside.
Pour your melted coconut oil over your cooked, chopped ingredients. Give that Power Snack +5 ingredients a good mixing, and make sure your coconut oil is well mixed. Optionl: Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the mixture and give it one more stir.
In a separate glass bowl combine all your wet & dry dressing ingredients. Once everything is whisked together, pour your dressing mixture over your Power Snack +5 mixture and stir till everything is well dressed and mixed. Serve yourself a cup of this amazing Power Snack +5 and enjoy.
Store your Power Snack +5 in a glass meal prep container or in small round snack containers for on the go snacking. Enjoy and remember to ASK B4 U SNACK.